Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Great Many Things to Think About

So a politician was caught doing what politicians do best: selling support for high profile seats in exchange for favors.

Democratic Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was arrested after a wire tap uncovered a shocking scheme: President-elect Obama's previous senate seat up for bid?

Wow. Why not just post it on Ebay, Governor? You could have at least gotten a few bucks.

Remembering back to the good ol' Revolutionary days, it's fair to say that the use of favors in exchange for policy or position has been a fixture of American politics since the Founding Fathers fathered this infant nation. Perfect example would be the finest dinner hour ever composed by a gentleman of the times: that being none other than the escapade set forth at the house of Thomas Jefferson, who wined and dined then-Federalists James Madison and Alexander Hamilton to attempt to settle a developing feud. In exchange for assuming the national debt and establishing the trust which set forth the Bank of the United States, Hamilton agreed to allow the government to relocate the Capitol near Virginia, Jefferson's home state. There was also a concession of understanding - as "King of the Federalists" and leader of the anti-Federalist party could only assume, both men agreed to disagree about their political agendas.

Hm. I wonder which five wines Jefferson used to win THAT one.

Since then men in the Oval Office have always used favors as a means of leverage. Does it make it any less immoral? No, but it tends to get things done. Powerful men have equally powerful partners, and even the pledge of a few extra stitches in that silver-lined pocket can be a tempting offer.

Disgusting. I wonder if people of integrity actually exist.

This closest example I can think of would be Abraham Lincoln, though I am sure Honest Abe was by no means a saint. It makes me wonder if any political system can survive on the spirit of volunteerism without gain for profit or status alone. Despite my want to believe that human beings are, at the very root, sane and good people, I am beginning to believe my understanding of the hearts of men to be askew.

Or my rose-colored glasses are still on and I need to take them off.

That said, I am terribly grieved to learn that the house struck by a malfunctioning F-18 Super Hornet was actually occupied at the time of the incident. I cannot imagine the grief the pilot must be going through at present. I hope that the Marine Corps is taking his care very seriously and reinforcing the idea that it was not his fault. My thoughts and prayers are with him and the families of all those affected. It's a terrible tragedy.

On the military side of the house I find I am missing my sister Frances desperately as well. She finally moved from Kuwait to Iraq and I am beginning to feel those pangs that only the family of deployed personnel must feel. Frances MUST come home, safe and sound, in one piece. I made a promise to her that I shall endeavor with all my power to do. More on that later.

I was remembering our youth and how much my Katrina is so much like her. Frances is brilliant, if not insane...genius, if not all together there. She can be such a leader and yet such a marshmallow at times. A big part of me wishes she could have realized her dream and become a pilot flying jets. Poor Frankie. I guess ground marching works just as well.

Come to think of it, a Great Calling is tugging my heartstrings. Washington State does have its charm and even though the lions still pace in their den, I doubt their fangs or claws are strong enough now. I'd like to go home, and in my next billet I think I shall, just for the respite of being near loved ones.

Christmas is coming, tra la, tra la. Keep up the Faith. And reach out to those who haven't quite figured it out yet.

No comments: