Sunday, November 16, 2008

This Long, Long Week...

Aye yie yie yie yie!


It has been a VERY long/short week.

And I have so much to post about I humbly beg your pardon for such a long post.

But here we go.

(deep inhale)

Myparentscametovisitandwehadalovelytimewhenmymotherandhernewlyfound
friendKathyweren'ttryingtoaffiancemetoKathy'ssonwholivesinNewYorkandalso
proddedmetofindEgyptiandisplaysatthemuseumsinWashingtonDCwherewewent
forsaidvisitbecauseitwasKatrina'sbirthdayandwewantedtodosomethingspecial.

So, there it is in one fantastically loud sound.

But I digress.

My parents came for a visit, which was nice because I haven't seen my father in over a year. Between the "Skink in the Sink" routine and a pageant of puns we discussed the politics of the day, the recent election (my parents are die-hard Obama fans), and a few other misgivings in the world. It was nice to have an intellectual debate for once. My mother can be quite the artist in said area, though when it comes to Constitutional Law I still have yet to find an opponent who can give me a run for my money.

(Speaking of politics, I am very happy to see President-Elect Obama seriously considering Senator Clinton for the role of Secretary of State, though I still think McCain would be a better choice.)

Katrina made out like a bandit for her birthday. Between the winter clothes and books and educational material (thank you for the books and flash cards, peeps...she LOVES them!), she also got so much Scooby I want to chuck it all out the window. And a shiny new bicycle, courtesy of mom (me!).

Of course there was much ado about me, being that my parents wish to lavish me with St. Swithun's Day presents. New plates and silverware are nice. Thank you for the presents, mumsy and dad. I really do appreciate it.

Speaking of Swithun...(checks the tank to make sure he is still in there)...the most incredible sight I have seen was that of my mother cradling my pet garter, Swithun, and stroking him as he lay in the crook of her arm. She hates snakes. Well, at least, I thought she did...so WHY couldn't I have a python growing up?

(sigh) You owe me, woman!

After Kitty's birthday we skedaddled down to Manassas, Virginia, to meet up with an old friend of my father's. Kathy and Pete Winer are an excellent host and hostess and I adored every moment I spent in their company. Pete, an ex-Marine Lieutenant Colonel, is a well of knowledge when it comes to American History. As we toured some of the Civil War sites, such as the battlefield of Manassas, we strolled as he spoke of the days of yesteryore and lectured intellectually on his understanding of the times. It felt like walking with a fond teacher. Oh, it was quite pleasant and had I had my muff and cloak it would have seemed all the more authentic!

Kathy is a pleasantly plump woman who had a crush on my father when they were kids. Aw. They went on to marry other people of course but the reunion was sweet nonetheless. It had been forty-five years since they'd seen eachother. Kathy was very eager to show us the sites once we arrived, ever the most gracious hostess.

The battleground at Manassas was...awe-inspiring. Rolling plains and farms lined with trees. I could just imagine the boys in blue and gray standing on opposing sides, preparing for a skirmish. A large bronzed statue of Stonewall Jackson marks the spot. Rows of reproduction cannons also keep a silent vigil upon that field. And as the sun set fire to the land behind them I found myself lost in a dream of those times, where a young lady might run toward the sun, seeking her soldier returned home from battle...*sigh*. Another dream for the Dream Box.

Moving on, we ended up touring the Washington, D.C. memorials on Veteran's Day, a day of deep meaning for me. Not only did I pray for my brothers and sisters in arms at each of their respective memorials, but I pray for the swift and safe return of my sister, Frances, who is in Kuwait now awaiting deployment to Bagdad. If you would be so kind, keep her in your thoughts and prayers, as with all our boys in blue and green overseas.

My parents, being the ol' stalwart folks they are, really enjoyed the Air and Space Museum and the Galleria of Art on the Capitol Mall. Having lived at Fort Meade for three months I had already toured much of it, though even three months is not enough to see -everything-. So I enjoyed reliving my DINFOS days, if only for a brief moment or two, when on almost every single weekend I would be down in D.C. or in the surrounding countryside seeking Revolutionary War sites. Annapolis was fascinating too.

Digressing again.

The visit didn't go without its hitches, however. NO PUN INTENDED THERE, though it comes dangerously close. You see, Kathy Winer and my mother, Sandy, ended up becoming fast friends. And started plotting against me. Evil clucking hens.

Enter Brad Winer. Age 39. Location: New York City, New York. Occupation: Financial Advertisement Analyst, Prior U.S. Navy. Passion: Photography.

Have you ever seen Fiddler on the Roof?

"Matchmaker, matchmaker...make me a match! Find me a find, catch me a catch!"

Oyi. If I hear that song ONE MORE TIME, I will thwack my mother soundly with the Shovel.

The two busy bodies have decided to make it their mission in life to find me a husband. And to what levels will they stoop?

I've been invited to Thanksgiving at the Winer's. And I'll get to meet their "eligible bachelor" son.

And the other one too, apparently.

Hmm. Sounds like the Shovel needs a waxing.

Hee hee.

Oh, I forgive them. I don't think they were serious...made the trip, well, interesting. Almost funny. But I have decided to take up the Thanksgiving offer. Kathy and Pete are simply wonderful.

One of the things that was kind of a bummer is that my mom didn't get to see her life-long friend, Em Varga. They had lost contact for 13 years and it took me quite a few hours to track her down while I was up in Tannersville visiting. My journey took me from Saugerties to Platteskill, to Woodstock and finally to Catskill where I found her sister. A regular Indiana Jones-type hunt for a lost treasure: my mom's friend. Em was ill and wouldn't be seen, though she misses my mother very much. I am so thankful they are back in contact.

Another fascinating thing that happened this week (and an event that has cemented in my mind and heart where I truly belong, but more on that later) is that my friend, Kvapil, wrote me back from prison. He has entreated me to keep writing and is seeking the outreach. Oh, thank God. Now we can work on helping him back up after he stumbled.

Well, it's late and I'll leave with this parting thought:

One of my dad's favorite cartoons that I ever composed was called "Proper Tea Etiquette", which seems to gain rave-reviews from his circle of friends. I decided to go ahead a remake it for him. It stems from an old...ah, erm, friend? Somewhat love-interest? Date gone wrong? Kind of thing? who had absolutely outrageous demands on proper ettiquette and manners. So, here is the reprise...only without the erm, ah, "friend" in it...the butler is just a random model.

Enjoy and cheers!


No comments: