Wednesday, November 5, 2008

New Blog, New Posts, Old Story

So here I have to start again.

*ahem* I am a Cartoonist. With a capital "C".

The story behind the strip "On the Hanger" stems from my days at Coast Guard Airstation Traverse City in Traverse City, Michigan. There I served as a Yeoman. However, I was the Public Affairs Yeoman. I was also the Scrapbook Yeoman. And the Cartoonist Yeoman.

While I was there I had a running strip called "On the Hanger" that featured primarily the commanding office, now Captain Stuart Merrill, and then executive officer, Commander Samuel Creech. Both were instrumental in my career change. But the most beloved of all the characters in the strip was a little possum by the name of Awesome.

Awesome Possum was actually an officer that I could not, for the life of me, draw as a human. His name was Christopher Yane, and he was a Lieutenant Junior Grade last I knew him. His character was the proverbial catch-all for everything: he was too light to be lowered on a rescue swimmer line, where he would spin around under the downdraft from the props, and he had to sit on five phone books just to see over the dashboard of the aircraft (we won't even discussed how he reached the pedals to steer the darned thing).

He was also one of my favorite officers. And I miss him and the rest of the crew.

Enough said. That's where I pulled my new blog name from.

Yes, this blog replaces "Memoirs from the Staten Island Ferry" which, even if for the title alone, I loved. The thirty minute ride to and from work often gives me the moment's respite I need to think of things for myself.

Godfish is for the ultra-personal stuff that I am working through and won't be open for awhile.

Meanwhile...back to the drawing board.

No comments: